How to use BAQSIMI
How to use BAQSIMI
Make sure to tell the people you count on where you keep your BAQSIMI and how to use it, so they can be better prepared to help. Watch the short video below to see how to use BAQSIMI and see the full Instructions for Use.
Remind others that BAQSIMI is intended for use in a very low blood sugar emergency, and insulin should not be given during this time. BAQSIMI can be kept wherever it may be needed, including in temperatures up to 86ºF. Make sure you and those you trust know the signs of a low blood sugar emergency.
Before BAQSIMI is needed:
- Read the Instructions for Use for BAQSIMI before using it.
- You should make sure you show your caregivers, family, and friends where you keep BAQSIMI and explain how to use it by sharing these instructions. They need to know how to use BAQSIMI before an emergency happens.
Important information to know:
- Do not remove the Shrink Wrap or open the Tube until you are ready to use it.
- If the Tube has been opened, BAQSIMI could be exposed to moisture. This could cause BAQSIMI not to work as expected.
- BAQSIMI will work even if you have a cold or are taking cold medicine.
Preparing the dose:
Remove the Shrink Wrap by pulling on the red stripe.
Open the Lid and remove the Device from the Tube.
Caution: Do not press the Plunger until ready to give the dose.
Giving the dose
Hold Device between fingers and thumb.
Do not push Plunger yet.
Insert Tip gently in one nostril until finger(s) touch the outside of the nose.
Push Plunger firmly all the way in. Dose is complete when the Green Line disappears.
After giving BAQSIMI:
- Call for emergency medical help right away
- If the person is unconscious, turn the person on their side
- Throw away the used Device and Tube
- Encourage the person to eat as soon as possible. When they are able to safely swallow, give the person a fast-acting source of sugar, such as juice. Then encourage the person to eat a snack, such as crackers with cheese or peanut butter
- If the person does not respond after 15 minutes, another dose may be given, if available
Storage and handling:
- Do not remove Shrink Wrap or open the Tube until you are ready to use
- Store BAQSIMI in the Shrink-Wrapped Tube at temperatures up to 86ºF (30ºC)
- Replace BAQSIMI before the expiration date printed on the Tube or carton
- Caution: Replace the used BAQSIMI right away so you will have a new BAQSIMI in case you need it
- Keep BAQSIMI and all medicines out of the reach of children
For questions or more information about BAQSIMI:
- Call your healthcare provider
- Call Amphastar at 1-800-423-4136
BAQSIMI is not intended to be a substitute for emergency medical care. After administering, always be sure to call 911. Do not administer insulin.