Using BAQSIMI: The simplicity of nasal administration1
Before BAQSIMI is needed:
- Read the Instructions for Use for BAQSIMI before using it.
- You should make sure you show your caregivers, family and friends where you keep BAQSIMI and explain how to use it by sharing these instructions. They need to know how to use BAQSIMI before an emergency happens.
Important information to know:
- Do not remove the Shrink Wrap or open the Tube until you are ready to use it.
- If the Tube has been opened, BAQSIMI could be exposed to moisture. This could cause BAQSIMI not to work as expected.
- BAQSIMI will work even if you have a cold or are taking cold medicine.
Preparing the dose:
Remove the Shrink Wrap by pulling on the red stripe.
Open the Lid and remove the Device from the Tube. Caution: Do not press the Plunger until ready to give the dose.
Giving the dose:
Hold Device between fingers and thumb. Do not push Plunger yet.
Insert Tip gently into one nostril, until finger(s) touch the outside of the nose.
Push Plunger firmly all the way in. Dose is complete when the Green Line disappears.
After giving BAQSIMI:
- Call for emergency medical help right away.
- If the person is unconscious, turn the person on their side.
- Throw away the used Device and Tube.
- Encourage the person to eat as soon as possible. When they are able to safely swallow, give the person a fast acting source of sugar, such as juice. Then encourage the person to eat a snack, such as crackers with cheese or peanut butter.
- If the person does not respond after 15 minutes, another dose may be given, if available.
SELECT IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
BAQSIMI is contraindicated in patients with pheochromocytoma because of risk of substantial increase in blood pressure , insulinoma because of risk of hypoglycemia, and known hypersensitivity to glucagon or to any of the excipients in BAQSIMI. Allergic reactions have been reported with glucagon and include anaphylactic shock with breathing difficulties and hypotension.
Glucagon is delivered to the bloodstream via nasal administration
BAQSIMI is absorbed passively through the mucosal membrane of the nose2,3
The nasal mucosa is highly penetrable due to its large surface area and rich vascularization4,5
Lipophilic drugs like BAQSIMI are well absorbed from the nasal cavity2,3
When BAQSIMI permeates the nasal mucosa, it is distributed into the bloodstream
How all formulations of glucagon work
Glucagon binds to and activates hepatic glucagon receptors
This stimulates glycogen breakdown and release of glucose from the liver2
This in turn produces an antihypoglycemic effect2